Torch Helps awards $10,000 grants to local charities who are making a difference in our communities. Charities must be nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations that provide services to our local communities. See the grant application for additional qualification requirements. A Torch Helps grant application form must be completed in full before a charity can be included in the vote.
Any application received after COB on the application deadline dates will be held and considered for the following quarterly grants.
Eligibility requirements include but are not limited to the following:
- Must be a nonprofit organization recognized under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and contributions shall be deductible by donors under section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Must be a community-based organization operating in the area of Torch Technologies Employee’s Residence.
- Services rendered by agency must be open to all members of the community regardless of race, religion, political affiliation, ability to pay or background.
- Agencies intended use of Torch Helps grant monies must be in line with Torch Helps Mission: To carry the Torch for others in our communities by providing financial support to nonprofit organizations designed to aid individuals and families who are financially disadvantaged, lack access to basic health and human services, or are otherwise disadvantaged and require the assistance of others to meet their basic needs for food, clothing, shelter, medical care and other fundamental needs.
- 100% of Torch Helps grant monies must be used in area of Torch Employee’s residence.
- Agency must meet criteria set forth by Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance Standards for Charity Accountability (see www.bbb.org for details of standards).
Organizations are ineligible for $10,000 grants if any of the following apply:
- Nonprofit without a current 501(c)(3) status.
- Are an individual.
- Is a private foundation.
- Public or Private Educational Institution to include nonprofit.
- Tax-Supported institutions.
- Social Organizations or Committees
- Religious organizations without secular community designation (i.e. must provide services to people regardless of their religious beliefs. Example: A food bank that is a separate 501(c)(3) organization from a church that provides food to anyone who qualifies for services, regardless of religious belief.)
- Agencies that have received a Torch Helps grant in the past 24 months.
Our Review Process
All submitted applications are examined by the Torch Helps Review Committee to determine if the requirements have been met and the charities are qualified and appropriate. The committee may request clarifications and, in some cases, site visits as part of the review process. The Review Committee recommends a list of charities to the Torch Helps Board of Directors. The Board reviews a summary of each application and selects which charities will be presented to our employees for a vote.
Our Contributing Employee Vote
The selected charities are presented for a vote by our contributing employees for two consecutive quarters. A charity must receive a majority vote to receive the quarterly grant. Often a runoff is needed to determine a winner when there are more than two charities.
To remain in the quarterly voting cycle, eligible charities only need submit a grant application every other quarter, although charities may resubmit at any time as their needs change. After receiving a quarterly grant, the charity is ineligible for two years.
- Be clear and concise on the Web Page Content Form. That is what most of our contributors will use to make their decision.
- Be specific about where and how the money will be used and who will benefit.
- Explain how the grant meets a real or urgent need in our communities.
- Clearly define the purpose of any significant material items you may purchase with the grant.
- If you know a Torch Helps contributor, ask them to nominate your charity.
If you have questions about the application, selection process, or need assistance please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.